Monday, May 15, 2023

Generic Research-video case study: Radiohead-Creep

 

This shot of the silhouette suits the low lighting of the video and shows the band members with their instruments but keeps their identity hidden for this section of the video. It’s a clever technique used to engage the audience with Barthes enigma theory as we can't fully see what's going on and gives a sense of mood for the video. Using lighting means we can get a range of different shots giving the video more depth and to create more meaning to match the lyrics. For exampleI'm a creep” and being hidden in the shadows creates this sense of being different/ an outsider therefore following Andrew Goodwin's theory.  

This use of a close up shot of his face shows emotion and gives him more personalisation with the song as we see him sing it and feel the music showing its meaning to him. The blurred background draws in the audiences focus to him and therefore presents him as the main singer and focal point of the band. this is further shown by his eye contact being a direct mode of address representing him as confident and serious. the camera often will pan just around him suggesting he should be the centre of all the focus when he's on screen and him staying still while the camera moves shows him as important. I want to incorporate this into my video as I want to have a main character/singer in the video to make sure there's high clarity in what's going on and so I don’t over complicate it with too many different people.

Images of the audience create the mise-en-scene of liveliness and the enjoyment people get out of the band. This streams a sense of popularity through the video and promotes the band as performers as well as music producers. I want to transfer this sense of popularity to my band as they will be a cross convergent brand with many chances of audience interaction on my website which means it's vital for an active and large fan base.  


The over the shoulder shot here gives us a different viewpoint of the actual musician and since we have seenfrom the crowd ‘s viewpoint it gives us a full range of what the scene is like. The low lighting is typical of a performance and further shows the mise-en-scene to be lively and late at night creating a sense of mystery and recklessness in the feeling of the video. I ‘d like to use this in my video in the shots I have if the whole band playing, I want it to seem like they ‘re playing in front of an audience so I get the same sense of liveliness and strong emotion paired with the lyrics.

This shot is interesting as his head is not in it. The shot of just the body and the instrument draws the focus to the soundtrack and how he's creating the music rather than himself as a musician. I'd like to use this with some of my backup players as that could help me to pinpoint my main character. This is also useful for filler shots being used to fill the time of the video while still fitting my theme and genre and interesting the audience.  
This creation of a character is interesting through codes of costume and mannerisms. He's looking away from the camera with indirect mode of address showing him as more mysterious compared to the other characters. This links to the beginning of the video when all we can see is his silhouette. Also, his tight clothing which reveals a portion of his collar bones is typically quite a feminine way to dress. I want to adopt this into my own video as it is iconic in this genre to use femininity to crate this” mad” or interesting sense of a persona (Kurt Cobain’s dress). Considering I want to have one of my characters having a gay love interest in the video, this will be good to take into consideration to out into my video as it shows them dressing how they want and not being afraid to be different. The use of coloured light seen throughout the video in the background creates a sense of winder and adds more colour to the seemingly dark coloured lighting and background of the video. Only seen behind the artists it shows them as more extravagant and that they're willing to put in the work in order to promote themselves. I want to use this in my video to add more depth and that colourful aspect in my video in order to stand out. Also, if I choose certain colours to be in it, I can match that on my website to create a recognisable brand for this song to further promote it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Website Screenshots Page 2 ABOUT

Please be aware that there is a major collaboration at the bottom of the page as the band have made music for the next Spiderverse movie. Th...