Monday, May 15, 2023

Generic Research- video case study: The National-Graceless


This shot is interesting since it uses an underwater shot. I might be able to incorporate this into my piece if I manage to get a device to film underwater as it makes for a very diverse video and creates a fun mise-en-scene through the use of these different shots. Especially being smartly dressed then being reckless and having fun juxtaposes that code-of-costume making the video unpredictable and more interesting and engaging for the audience as its something new that they havent seen before. This element of all of the band members just having fun in the video is an ongoingly joyful tone and gives them more character depth and personality in the video rather than just playing a role and trying to create a deeper meaning. Since I have a younger audience, I do want to cater some of this into my work to make sure it stays seemingly light-hearted at times. The black and white gives it an older house style throughout the video which could definitely be used to contrast some of my shots that I want to have colourful lighting in. It gives it a more serious tone but is again contrasted with their nature which makes the video have a bit of a satirical tone.

This low angle shot of them all stood is really fascinating due to the contrasting nature of it all. The tall trees and natural background are seen throughout the video, them in their suits and the black and white editing making for a more formal and serious tone yet they're chugging what I assume to be alcohol. It is all different and clashes, yet the mise-en-scene is still created in order to give meaning to them as a band. On the surface they're supposed to be very serious yet they're all still playing around and having fun in this industry. I'd like to take a shot like this, so I get all of my band members in it showcasing them all in a line as equals or as a final picture to go on my website. The fact they're all looking up shows them turning a blind eye to the serious tone people expect from them which I may not use as I do want my video to be seemingly more serious than this one, just with scattered fun elements.
This long shot of a couple of the members is clever as we see them all moving with the camera being still. It’s a good transition to a different setting for the music video. We again see the use of silhouette, so the audience take in some of the background instead of just the members. I also want to use this in my video to have a minor element of mystery in an opening shot of who the members are to create intrigue. This use of a natural background will be useful to me since I'm filming in summer and so the weather should be a pleasant background for some of my shots if I choose to do them during the day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Website Screenshots Page 2 ABOUT

Please be aware that there is a major collaboration at the bottom of the page as the band have made music for the next Spiderverse movie. Th...